[Ale-study] Linux system administrator

Matthew simontek at gmail.com
Fri May 2 11:03:41 EDT 2014

To my complete surprise,  I was recently hired at Indiana University as the
GitHub admin. Not that I wasn't qualified, but the fact I don't have a
degree was what surprised me. In this field, usually it doesn't matter
whether or not you have a degree,  as long as you know the work. There are
exceptions, such as schools and hospital's that have the prestige thing
going on. Certs can help a lot. Granted a lot of them we as professionals
see as a joke, but HR and gov't doesn't.  There are certs that do mean
something such as the RHCE or OSCP. I currently hold the Linux+, net+,
sec+, A+, LPIC1.  My other certs are medical related.

Just get an OS going, crash it, break it. Google how to fix it. Come up
with scenarios you would like to use. Oracle's virtualbox is handy. Stil do
a dedicated box though.
Howtoforge.com is a wonderful site.