[Ale-study] Linux system administrator

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:10:55 EDT 2014

The best thing you can do for yourself as an absolute beginner is to get
Linux installed somewhere and do stuff with it.  Play with it.  Write
papers with it.  Blow it up 30 times and reinstall it.  Learn some
command-line commands.  Expect to break stuff, but then after you break it,
learn how to fix it.  Google is your friend.  Did I mention you should
break stuff.
People who hire Linux admins do not expect you to know all hundred-thousand
options for all 5000 commands found on the average Linux box.  They have to
know you are careful, but relentlessly willing to learn everything.
Go to ALE meetings and take careful notes.
I never took a formal course in Linux but I taught college-level Linux
desktop and Linux admin for 6 years.  Self-taught skills are not the
easiest path but that prepares you for dealing with novelty - "This
situation was not in the course I took! Eeeek!"  Experience will tend to
trump educational certificates.

Wolf Halton

Security in the Cloud -
http://AtlantaCloudTech.com<http://atlantaCloudTech.com>