[Ale-study] Linux system administrator

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:10:02 EDT 2014

Getting started now is both easier and harder than when I started in
professionally in 1997. Many people start with a CS degree. But many others
start by finding something that interests them that needs doing and joining
a project.

I took the crash course. Literally. The windows system kept crashing so I
dumped it and loaded Linux (RedHat 4.1 to be exact). I had been tinkering
with it for a while but this time, I never reloaded windows back on the
box. For me, learning how to do everything in Linux meant not having any
choice about it. The newsgroups were my prime source of conversation and
help. Then I found ALE.

In order to get resume credit for Linux knowledge, I got lucky. Because I
had spent early time tinkering, I put Linux use on my resume. It was a
factor in getting that first job that Linux use was expected. From then on,
I always had gear at home I would hack on doing new things while doing the
"tried and true" stable stuff at the job. Each new skill I learned on my
own gear, I added to my resume. Many of those turned into a referenceable
skill used at work over time.

One area that Linux need SERIOUS HELP in is documentation. Being able to
write clear "how-to" manuals based on actually _doing_ it is vital. When
the programmers write documentation, it shows and that's not always a good
thing. Teaching others how to do something really forces the learning of it
on the teacher :-)

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM, B. Robert <buzibar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I moved here 2 years ago and looking to start a new career in IT,  I work
> 2 jobs to support my family and looking to do Linux system administration
> It would be tough to enroll in a main stream college program and my
> background has not been strong in computers as i am a High school.
>
> I need some advice on how to go about this, from a professional point of
> view or experience from someone who has been through the same.
>
> Looking forward for any guidance
>
> Robert

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*